1/83rd Unit News
1. Health Issue - Neal Schwartz (68-69) recently contacted me about some materials he received from the VA. Here is the beginning of the communication that he received
There was more after this as well. Neal then followed up with this note to me...
Neal asked our Howard Sanger (68-69), who is a tax attorney for his thoughts on the disclaimer that came with the materials Neal received. Here is what Howard had to say...
"Frankly, I think the centralization of all medical records makes sense. I will likely sign up for "eHealth Exchange". I skimmed what you sent me. I didn't analyze every word, as I do daily, when parsing the Internal Revenue Code for a client with an IRS issue. Thus feel free to relay to others that you and I discussed VA Medical Records. But please make it clear that I just skimmed what you sent, and that I did not do a careful analysis."
At this point, Neal attempted to sign up online for the eHealth Exchange but ran into problems with their website.
I had received a different mailing from the VA asking me to enroll in the "Million Veteran Program" and then replied to Neal with the following...
"I did not receive an email like that but I did receive something in the
mail from the Department of Veterans Affairs which wanted me to enroll in the
"Million Veteran Program". This is supposed to be a "research program to improve
health care for Veterans and their families". The invitation to join "is open to
all Veterans registered in the VA Healthcare System". The mailing included a
"Baseline Survey" that they asked me to complete after which they would schedule
an appointment at the Philadelphia VA Medical Center.
So the question is, have any of you received either of those mailings and, if so, what have you done about it?
2. New Email Address - Tom Sellers (68-69) has a new email address, it can be found on the Roster.
3. Late Arriving March Birthday - Happy Birthday to Don Lages (66-67).
4. Photos - I recently received some photos from Win Langley (66-67) that he received from Susan Rosegay, the widow of John Rosegay (66-67). John was a very good friend who passed away in 2006. I added those photos and identified those in the photos that I knew but there are a couple who I could not ID. If you 66-67 guys could take a look and let me know who these guys are, I would appreciate it. Look on this page for the John Rosegay link in the first column.
5. Unit Merchandise - See section below.
Be sure to let me know what is going on in your life so we can share it with everyone in this section. See the latest 1/83rd News by clicking here.
Photo of the Week
Statue at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington DC
(Courtesy of Barbara Bina (wife of Tony "B" Battery 1966-67)
|1. Nothing this time to report.|
Interesting Links and More
1. Dennis Mack (66-67) sent this true story of one man's fight with
United Airlines who damaged his guitar in baggage handling. Interesting and
entertaining. Apparently his response to United was very effective.
Canadian musician from Halifax named Dave Carroll had difficulty with United
Airlines. He spent over 9 months trying to get United to pay for damages caused
by baggage handlers to his custom Taylor guitar. During his final exchange with
the United Customer Relations Manager, he stated that he was left with no choice
other than to create a music video for YouTube exposing their lack of
cooperation. The Manager responded: "Good luck with that one, pal." So, he
posted a retaliatory video on YouTube which has since received over 6 million
2. Walt Noechel (69-70) sent this video which is pretty amazing. This is about an archer who would put Robin hood to shame, I have never seen anything like this.
3. Don Aird (70-71) sent this recent addition to the "Waste Disposal" section of our website. Look for "A Special Yankee Candle" on this page.
4. Don Aird (70-71) sent this poignant ANZAC tribute video.
5. Don Aird (70-71) also sent his link about the effort to gather photos of all those listed on the Vietnam Veterans memorial in DC. I would imagine that most of us are already aware of this effort but, if you are not, maybe you can help. This story also lists the number accounted for by state along with how many are still needed.
1. If you come across anything that you think may be a good addition to our website let me know. Also, if you have any questions or suggestions regarding the website, let me know.
2. Check out all the latest updates by looking at the website Table of Contents.
Vietnam Veterans of America Update
1. VVA Update for
February 13, 2015
2. VVA Update for February 20, 2015
3. VVA Update for February 27, 2015
4. VVA website
a. Unit Crest Patches (same patch as has been available 3.25"h x 2.75"w - $6 each. Here is a photo.
b. Unit Crest Decals (Decal is round 3.5" x 3.5") - $5 each. Here is a photo.
c. 1/83rd Caps (Adjustable) - $20 each. Here is a photo.
d. Unit Hat Patches (same patch as is on the 1/83rd cap - $6 each. Here is a photo.
If you are interested in any of these items, send me a check. Make sure you supply your mailing address.
If you want an 83rd Artillery Unit Crest Pin, I have a link on the website where you can order them from one of the 3 vendors listed. I have bought from all 3 of them and they are identical in quality, all are very good. Please note that Uniform Accessories will ship 2 for one price where the other 2 only ship 1 for almost the same price.
|Review your entry on the website Roster and let me know if any changes are necessary. If your email stops working, I cannot reach you if you have incomplete contact details on the roster.|
|Missing members of the 1/83rd||
Help us find those former 83rd members who haven't
found us yet!!
I am sure that each of us has someone they would really like to reconnect with. If we all pitch in, we may find many more of our old buddies. Here are some ways to do that:
1. If you are in contact or have contact info for any 1/83rd guys please contact them and tell them about our group or at least tell me and I will contact them.
2. Look through the roster on the website and if you know of others who are not listed, let me know who they are. Also, if you see any incorrect or missing info (including your own entry) let me know.
3. If you have copies of old orders tucked away someplace, send me a copy so I can make sure those names are on the roster.
4. Sometimes all it takes is a name and location and we can find someone but the more details we know the better our chances.
|Rules & Regs||I recently updated the "Rules & Regs" document, if anyone would like an updated copy, let me know. Go to Contact Us and submit your request or email me directly.|
If you get an email from and it has a website link
included anywhere within the email, most times you should be able to just click
on the link and you will be taken to the website. Sometimes however, the link
will not work because, in sending you the email, the link is deactivated
although it is still usable. If this should happen, another way to use the link
is to copy and paste it into the address line on your browser. Please be sure to
let me know if you have any questions on this.
Please note that there are no blank spaces in email addresses. What you see in mine between words/characters is the underscore (_) character.