Two crossed field guns, gold color metal, thirteen-sixteenth
inch in height.
Crossed cannons (field guns) for Artillery have been in
continuous use since 1834, when they were placed on regimental colors,
knapsacks, and as part of the cap insignia for Artillery officers. In 1901, the
Artillery was divided into Coast and Field Artillery and the branch insignia was
modified by the addition of a plain scarlet oval at the intersection of the
cannons. The Field Artillery insignia approved on 17 July 1902 had a gold wheel
on the red oval and the Coast Artillery had a gold projectile on the red oval.
This red oval and wheel was replaced on 4 April 1907 by two field guns. It
was superseded in 1957 by the consolidated Artillery insignia consisting of the
crossed field guns surmounted by a missile. In 1968 when the Air Defense
Artillery and the Field Artillery were authorized to have separate insignia, the
former Field Artillery insignia was reinstated.